Calcium Citrate Malate – 250 mg
Cholecalciferol – 100 IU
Folic Acid – 50 mcg
Each box contain 3 Alu-Alu strips of 10 tablets
Citmacal tablets contain Calcium citrate malate, Cholecalciferol and folic acid.
Calcium citrate malate is a calcim salt of citric and malic acid which is water soluble form of calcium. This form of calcium has high bioavailability.
It is one of the five forms of vitamin D. It is steroid molecule with one open ring and is also called as secosteroid. It is inactive and converted to active form by two hydroxylations by liver and kidney.
It is a type of vitamin B which is mainly used in treatment of anemia or during pregnancy.
- It helps in maintaining bone mineral density
- Prevents calcium plaques forming in arteries of patients with osteoporosis
- Prevents corticosteroid induced osteoporosis
Calcium citrate malate
It is the water soluble calcium supplement. It is the calcium salt of citric salt of citric acid and malic acid. It is supposed to have high bioavailability.
It requires activation by 25-hydroxylation in liver. The enzyme 27-hydroxylase catalyses oxidation of side chain of sterol intermediates. This active form binds to the intracellular receptors and function as transcription factor to cause gene modulation. Vitamin D receptors forms complex with other intracellular receptors. It increases the serum concentration by increasing the absorption. It also causes increase in osteoclastic reabsorption and increases distal renal tubular reabsorption of calcium. It is absorbed through formation of calcium binding protein.
Calcium citrate malate
After administration the drug is absorbed by small intestine in presence of bile salt.
Nearly about 99.8% of the drug is bound to plasma protein.
The elimination half life of drug is 19-48hrs.
After oral administration readily absorbed by the body
Nearly about 50-80% of the drug is bound to plasma protein. The metabolism of the drug is by liver.
- Patients with hypercalcemia or evidence of vitamin D toxicity
- Any of the inactive ingredient in the preparation is contraindicated
- Hypersensitivity to any ingredient
- Excessive dosage causes hypercalcemia and in some instances hypercalciuria
- Patient should have normal renal function
- Adequate fluid intake
- Avoid non prescription drugs
- Regular analysis of the patients with such prescription.