Cefpodoxime – 100 mg
Each Outer carton contain 30 ml bottle
Efprox DS Dry Syrup contains cefpodoxime. It is a third generation oral antibiotic. Cefpodoxime is a drug which is active against both gram positive and gram negative bacteria. It is mainly used for otitis media, pharyngitis, sinusitis and gonorrhea.
- Acute otitis media
- Acute maxillary sinusitis
- Community acquired pneumonia
- Uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infections
Cefpodoxime is active against a broad spectrum of gram positive and gram negative baceteria. It causes inhibition of cell wall synthesis and produces bactericidal activity. Its active metabolite binds to penicillin binding protein 3 which causes inhibition of production of peptidoglycan.
After oral administration the drug is absorbed from gastrointestinal
tract. Cefpodoxime is a prodrug, after administration it gets de-esterified
to its active metabolite cepodoxime.
About 22 to 33% of the drug is bound to serum, and 21 to 29% of the
drug is bound to plasma.
Nearly about 29-33% of the drug is excreted in unchanged form in
urine within in 12hrs.
- Hypersensitivity reaction
- If patients are penicillin sensitive, caution should be exercised because cross sensitivity among beta lactum antibiotics has been documented and can occur in patients with history of penicillin sensitivity
- Allergic reaction
- Patient history of kidney or liver disease and stomach problems
- Patient with surgery like dental surgery