Mefanamic acid – 100 mg
Each box contain 10 Blister strips of 10 tablets
Nefmic kid Tablet contains Mefenamic acid.
It is a NSAID which is used for the treatment of pain. It decreases the swelling in inflammation and also uterine contractions. It also inhibits PG synthesis.
- Potent analgesic
- Acute pain
- Smooth muscle spasm
- It also blocks the substances which causes inflammation
It produces its pharmacological action by binding to prostaglandin synthetase receptors COX-1 and COX-2 and causes the inhibition of its action. As these plays a major role in causing inflammation.
It is rapidly absorbed after oral administration. The mean peak levels of mefenamic acid are ranging from 10-20mcg/ml3. Co-administration of mefenamic with antacid increases the absorption rate of magnesium hydroxide.
It is well distributed in the body with 90% of the drug is bound to plasma protein. The volume of distribution of the drug is 1.06 l/kg. It is metabolized by liver cytochrome P450 enzyme CYP2C9 to 3-hydroxymethyl mefenamic acid (Metabolite I).
About 52% of the drug is excreted in urine as glucuronides of mefenamic acid. About 20% of the drug is excreted through urine.
- Complicated acute abdominal conditions
- Prolong half life can cause difficulty in achieving steady state of drug in body.
- Patients with pregnancy and lactation
- Cannot be substituted for corticosteroid therapy
- Difficulty in operating machinery
- Suicidal behaviour