Cefixime – 200 mg
Each box contain 10 Alu-Alu strips of 10 tablets
Cefixime is a semi-synthetic cephalosporin of antibiotic class for oral administration. In cephalosporin class it is the third generation antibiotic. It is widely used for infections caused by H.influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis and Streptococcus pyrogens. Cefixime is a broad spectrum antibiotic mainly used to treat infections of ears, UT and upper respiratory tract.
- Reduces the drug resistance bacteria
- It maintains the effectiveness of anti-bacterial drug
- Can be used for adult and pediatric patients
- Otitis media
- Pharyngitis and tonsillitis
- Acute exacerbations caused by Streptococcus pneumonia in chronic bronchitis
- Cervical or urethral gonorrhea caused by Neisseria gonorrhoeae
It causes inhibition of cell wall synthesis. It inhibits the final step of transpeptidation of the peptidoglycon synthesis by binding to PBPs which causes bacterial cell wall synthesis and cell death.
After oral administration about 40-50% of the drug is absorbed from GIT. The effect of the drug is reduced when taken with food. Absorption is more in suspension than in tablet.
The drug is widely distributed in the body. It crosses placenta and protein binding capacity is about 65%
The high concentration of the drug is excreted in bile and urine
- Patients sensitive to cephalosporins
- Allergic patients
- Not contraindicated for the patients with penicillin allergy
- Anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions
- Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea (CDAD) with use of nearly all antibacterial agents
- Special dose arrangements for patients with renal impairement.